Designed by Veethemes.com

Edith Shain







Edith Shain passed away this past Sunday at the age of 93. I was the last photographer to photograph Edith for my book. She truly was the sweetest and most vivacious lady I have ever met. The funny thing about the famous photo of her kissing the sailor, you would think she is 8 feet tall! When I photographed Edith, I was on my knees, and we were about the same height. She must not be taller then 4'8". The point I am trying to make is Edith may have been a short person, but her soul and personality was monumental, and legendary. The photo of the sailor kissing Edith is one of the most famous images of WWII, if not American history.

1 comment:

  1. What did Ms. Shain say about the photo? Did she know the sailor? Was she swept up in the celebrations, or was she angry to be grabbed? How did she feel about being the unknown subject of such a famous photo?

    ReplyDelete